About Me

My photo
Born in the US, raised on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus, lived in Italy, the US, and Canada. Lover of language, travel, colour, and the natural world.

Friday, December 24, 2010

Rever10, Day 24: Picnic on a sun lit wall

Prompt: Everything's OK. What was the best moment that could serve as proof that everything is going to be alright? And how will you incorporate that discovery into the year ahead?

The author of this prompt is Kate Inglis:
The Dead Crew
@sweetsalty


A few nights ago, I had a dream. I dreamt that I was sitting on a low wall that ran around the perimeter of an enormous park filled with large fruit trees, palm trees, shrubs and flowers. There was at least one stream running through the park, and the trees cast long cool shadows across the ground beneath them. There was an old mansion like building that was nestled into the back edge of the park. I think I must have visited this place in other dreams recently because it was very familiar, and I knew that I had explored it before. It was an old stone building, like a lot of buildings in Italy. It had old balconies that were bathed in late afternoon sunlight, and a roof garden that was lush and green.

I was sitting on the wall in the warm golden sunlight with my dear friend Alanna. We had a spread of delicious snacks laid out like a miniature picnic between us on the wall, and we were sitting there eating and drinking and chatting away a mile a minute. The conversation was about service, family, relationships and travel. It was a joyful conversation, frequently punctuated by laughter. In my dream, I knew that I had conversed with Alanna via telephone earlier that day, but the phone conversation had just not cut it, so I had come to find her, and we had decided to meet on this warm stone wall.

The dream has no real story line. I do recall telling her that I was going to come live in this mansion that we could see from the wall for a short while because I needed to get away. And she told me about her thoughts and dreams. What was most profound about the dream was the absolute contentedness that I felt in the moment that we were sharing. I felt completely accepted, completely present, and as though everything was right in the world. There was nowhere else I wanted to be. I felt a deep, constant feeling of joy that seemed to radiate out and all around me.

When I woke up from my dream I felt very happy, and as though everything was going to work out. That everything was fine. I felt resolution. I felt acceptance of my reality and situation.

I have been having a lot of very intense dreams lately, many of which are nightmares that involve people dying, bleeding, running, searching...you name it, I have probably dreamt it lately. As I near the end of the year, I have been working hard at not allowing myself to judge where I am at. It is hard to do, because last year at this time I made the decision to leave my home on Prince Edward Island, and I feel that by now I should have made my next connection and be off exploring some new, exotic part of the world. I have been wrestling with accepting where I am and what I am doing, and trying to celebrate the small steps forward that I have been making lately. So images of searching and chasing, and dying, etc are all undoubtedly connected with my trying to find my place in the world.

I know that the state of absolute peace is not necessarily going to be constant, but I do feel that my recent dream was some part of myself that knows that everything is going to be alright attempting to tell me, through a very sensory experience, that I am going to be ok. That all of the exciting new ideas I am currently exploring are, in fact, leading me down a path that is going to yield positive results. That if I accept joyfully where I am at present, I will experience a tremendous sense of relief.

I have been carrying this dream around with me for the past few days, allowing it to seep out into my waking hours. It does seem to be wafting more joyful acceptance into my days. And golden presence. And the absolute relaxation that my body and mind feel when they absorb the warmth of late afternoon sunlight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment