About Me

My photo
Born in the US, raised on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus, lived in Italy, the US, and Canada. Lover of language, travel, colour, and the natural world.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Forever like the rose


When I was an infant, my mother used to sing the Seals and Crofts song Forever Like the Rose to me to calm me down. She sang it slightly differently than Seals and Crofts did, and to be honest, I still prefer her slower version to the original recording. When I came home from yoga in the park today, I walked into the kitchen, and saw this beautiful rose in a vase on the windowsill.

Photo by Ariana Salvo. May not be used without permission.
 Our neighbour has a rosebush that grows up his red brick wall outside our kitchen window. Despite not being cared for or watered, it has produced some excellent blossoms over the last couple of weeks. They came and went rather quickly, and I thought that was it for this spring. But apparently I missed one that my mother, whose sharp eye notices such details, caught.

Photo by Ariana Salvo. May not be used without permission.
  The rose was so delicate, its petals so creamy, and the light touching it so gracefully, that I could not resist grabbing my camera and sharing it with you, along with the lyrics of the song my mom used to sing to me, because the two complement each other so perfectly.

Photo by Ariana Salvo. May not be used without permission.
 Forever like the rose, I suppose that's the way to be.

Photo by Ariana Salvo. May not be used without permission.
Fresh and ever growing, always showing lots of beauty to the world.
I know it's not an easy task. All I ask is that you try.

Photo by Ariana Salvo. May not be used without permission.
Try for me, be like the flower, within its hour of final glory.
Open up and let the sunshine touch your heart. And show the world what you can be.
If you are free, free to grow, free to grow. Forever like the rose.

Photo by Ariana Salvo. May not be used without permission.
The centerpiece of life will always be unfolding its cardinal petals
For the dew of children's tears. To grow a new rose.
Forever like the rose. Oh, forever like the rose.

Photo by Ariana Salvo. May not be used without permission.
Forever like the rose, I suppose that's the way to be.
Strong and ever giving, always living with a purpose and a goal.

Photo by Ariana Salvo. May not be used without permission.

Photo by Ariana Salvo. May not be used without permission.
To blossom day to day, then someday to fade away.
Forever like the rose.

Photo by Ariana Salvo. May not be used without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment