About Me

My photo
Born in the US, raised on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus, lived in Italy, the US, and Canada. Lover of language, travel, colour, and the natural world.

Friday, August 26, 2011

Creating a vision

“.. almost everything – all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.” - Steve Jobs
I love this quote by Steve Jobs. He has given so much to the world by being a living example of his own advice in this quote, too. Walking the talk.   
Wednesday evening the group of women that I usually join for devotions on a particular spiritual virtue met up to make vision boards for our lives. Our host, Robin, had baked delicious quiches (and she made me my own little quiches that looked like egg muffins, but were really cute little quiches without the crust!); one of the other women brought a salad, and I brought Lady's Slipper iced tea. We enjoyed our supper outside on the patio next to a sign that read: "Hippies use the back gate." 
After supper we pulled out all our art materials and spread out across the living room, covering it in sheets of stickers, pens, magazines, paper, scissors, sparkles, and glue sticks. The next four hours we worked and played, talked and laughed, all while creating a vision for the next year of our lives. 
We cut and pasted, flipped through page after page of magazines, ripped paper, wrote, and reflected on our process out loud with each other. 
It was a really enjoyable evening, with lots of laughter, and time seemed to rush past. By the time we left at close to 11pm, our eyes were fluttering shut. Not everyone was completely done, but most of us were most of the way there.
The images in this photo are the property of Ariana Salvo, and are not to be reproduced
I am very pleased with my vision board, which is now firmly mounted on the wall at the end of my bed so that I am staring at it when I wake up and go to sleep every day. 

Images in this photo are the property of Ariana Salvo, and may not be reproduced without permission

My mom took a rather less literal approach to the project. Her board represents the spiritual journey that she is on. 
Some of the other creations were incredibly beautiful and inspiring: 

This photo is the property of Ariana Salvo, and my not be reproduced

This photo is the property of Ariana Salvo, and may not be reproduced

This photo is the property of Ariana Salvo, and may not be reproduced

Aren't they incredible? I was inspired. I have heard so many stories about the power that visualizing something daily has in making it happen. So when I look at the various components of my vision board: 

Photo is the property of Ariana Salvo. May not be copied or reproduced.
...I think about what an important role perspective plays in accomplishing goals, how many big, rich, joyful dreams I have, and how much richer, more joyful my life will become as I integrate all of the things on my board into every day, like gratitude, taking the time to enjoy the natural world and relax, owning my own farm, having or adopting a child, being courageous, being excited about the unknown of the future, falling in love, being the change I want to see in the world, writing and writing and writing, and having the courage to call myself a writer, writing in my journal, radiating confidence, being playful and joy-filled....
This photo is the property of Ariana Salvo and may not be reproduced
...travel to placed I have yet to explore, surrounding myself with strong, graceful female friends, enjoying many more summers, staying fit with running and yoga, strengthening my relationship with God, writing novels, becoming financially sustainable....and finding a home and community to settle in (which is what Louise Mould's painting, Upton Farm Butternut Tree, in the bottom right corner of this piece symbolizes to me.    
As I work on staying true to my heart, and continuing to develop my writing career, every little thing I do to reinforce and encourage myself is a step towards accomplishing my goal. The vision board helps me to keep my goals foremost in my thoughts every day. 
Another thing I am contemplating signing up for is Karen Walrond's course that will help people in transition to find their passion in life, and take practical steps towards realizing their goals. Her course begins in September, but apparently if you register by Monday at midnight, it is only 55 dollars. Given the amount of experience Karen has with transitions and pursuing her passion for photography and writing, I'd say that is a steal. I encourage you to check out her website and blog (which I read daily). 
And with that, I wish you all a long and gorgeous weekend! I hear it is raining on the east coast. What I wouldn't give for some rain in the land of endless sunny days. It's funny how you start to miss it when it happens so rarely! 
Happy Friday friends! Whatever the weather is doing, have a great weekend, and see you all back here on Monday!

1 comment: